Established in 1997, the Foundation’s Colorado River Project is dedicated to educating people about challenges facing the Upper and Lower Colorado River Basins and assisting the many stakeholders in the two basins in reaching common ground. Primary financial support for the project is provided through a grant from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation’s Upper and Lower Colorado Regions along with contributions from agencies, companies and individuals.
The Colorado River Project includes the River Report newsletter, published twice a year; the Lower Colorado River Tour and an annual issue of Western Water magazine devoted to Colorado River issues. In addition, the Foundation sponsors the biennial Colorado River Symposium, an invitation-only stakeholder event held in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The first symposium was held in 1997 to mark the 75th anniversary of the Colorado River Compact. Subsequent symposia were held in 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015. Printed proceedings are available from each of these events.
The Colorado River Project Advisory Committee:
- Michael Cohen, Pacific Institute
- John Entsminger, Southern Nevada Water Authority
- Amy Haas, New Mexico Interstate Stream Commission
- Bob Johnson, Water Consult
- Jeff Kightlinger, MWD of Southern California
- James Lochhead, Denver Water
- Don Ostler, Upper Colorado River Commission
- Jennifer Pitt, National Audubon Society
- Stanley M. Pollack, Navajo Nation Department of Justice
- Maureen Stapleton, San Diego County Water Authority
- Gary Weatherford, California Public Utilities Commission
As originally published on Water Education Foundation www.watereducation.org
Original URL: http://www.watereducation.org/colorado-river-project